Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Are you Tony Ridder?"


Ridder, right, dining in
San Jose.

Today was the first time I have seen Santana Row, the Rodeo Drive of San Jose, during the day.

I was there with a student reporter who is writing a story about the high-end shopping center. My eyes were glued the swanky shops, eateries and apartments until I looked over to sidewalk cafe and noticed Tony Ridder, former CEO of Knight Ridder.

I walked over and said, "I think I know you. Are you Tony Ridder?" He looked at me somewhat in shock and said, "Yes, I am Tony Ridder."

I reminded him that I'm a lowly reporter at the Contra Costa Times, a paper that used to be part of Knight Ridder. We had a nice chat. I asked him if he's stopping by the convention – he was a major player in getting the convention to San Jose – and he said he wasn't sure.

He did say he misses the biz and is trying to stay busy, but not as busy as when he was running what was the nation's second largest newspaper company.

After I said my goodbyes and nice to see yous, he said, "Hey, your business card still says Knight Ridder!"

I guess I need to order new cards.

No comments: